Robot War Engine

Progress Update 2019-10-27

Hi all

This week, RWE learned how to render weapons that use models and sprites – render types 1, 3, 4 and 6 in the weapon TDF files. Now you can finally see some more interesting projectiles than lasers, such as missiles and cannon shells.

RWE also learned about ballistic trajectories. Weapons that are ballistic now fire in an arc and are affected by gravity rather than shooting in a straight line.

Some ballistic weapons exhibit some amount of overshooting compared to their TA counterparts. During my testing I discovered that TA does something to correct for overshooting, and I have implemented something similar in RWE, but I have not quite reproduced the original behaviour. For now this should be okay, but I would like to eventually revisit this.

I also ran the first multiplayer network test of RWE today, and successfully played a short game against gamma on Comet Catcher. Since it’s now possible to play a complete game including mobile ground units, I’m officially upgrading the project status to its next working title: Total GroundWar

For this week I have two gifs, showing off cannon shells, which are sprites, and missiles, which are models.

Next I will be working on feedback and polish from the network test to make the game more playable for my early network testers.

Last but not least, thank you so much to my sponsors on Github for your continued support! All these kind people are new sponsors since my last update:

And an extra special thanks to cosmouser (FN202), who committed to sponsoring me at a whopping $25/month!! :o

2019-10-27-progress 2019-10-27-progress-2